This soup, like so many other dishes, began its life with me on Pinterest, where I often go for inspiration. It’s a lovely, brothy soup the first day. The flavor improves with age, and it also thickens, due to the quinoa. By the third day, it is actually more of a light stew. My family loved it that way for a substantial and delicious dinner.
I’m including here the veggies that I used. Any greens are fine, though, and the summer squash and zucchini can be traded out for another high water content veggie.
QUINOA & WHITE BEAN SOUP
- Beans, Great Northern, 1/2 lb. cooked ’til al dente in water to cover (check water periodically and add if needed)
- Extra virgin olive oil, 3 TB
- Spanish onion, 1, minced
- Poblano, 1, minced
- Garlic, 6 cloves, minced
- Carrots, 3 med.-large, washed and cut on bias
- Celery, 2 large stalks
- Seasonal veggies, 2 cups at least, coarsely chopped (I used zucchini and yellow squash)
- Greens, 1-2 cups rough chopped
- Tomatoes, 8 Roma, petite diced or 1 28-oz. can petite diced
- Quinoa, 1 cup
- Water, 1 quart
- Vegeta, 4 tsp.
- Salt, 1 TB
- Szeged Hot paprika, 1/2 tsp.
- Thyme, 1 TB fresh (stripped from stems)
- Pepper, black, freshly ground
- Rinse beans and cook in pot with lid in water to cover. Check periodically to make certain water doesn’t cook off. When just tender, remove from heat and set aside.
- Mince onion and saute in extra virgin olive oil in a soup pot.
- Add minced garlic to the pot, and saute a moment longer.
- Add carrots and celery cut on bias to the pot and saute until just tender.
- Add 1 quart water with Vegeta (soup base) stirred in. If you don’t have a vegan soup base, water is fine — you might just have to use a little more salt.
- Add one 32-oz. can petite diced tomatoes (or 8 Roma tomatoes, petite diced)
- Add seasonings and 2 cups seasonal vegetables (zucchini and summer squash this time)
- Simmer together until flavors well-blended and veggies are all softened.
- Add seasonings (salt, hot paprika, thyme).
- Add 1 cup quinoa and cook for 15 minutes until done.
- Add beans with their liquid (should have cooked down some so it just covers the beans).
- At the end of the cooking time, add rough-chopped greens. I used kale in this batch.
- Grind in fresh black pepper to taste.
Hope you enjoy this healthy, substantial, delicious veggie soup!
For more, visit my blog, vegetatingwithleslie.org, “Like” me on FaceBook/Vegetating with Leslie or follow me on Twitter, @vegwithleslie.