CAULIFLOWER QUINOA STEW
- Carrots, 3, bias cut
- Cauliflower, 1/2 large head, flowerets
- Celery stalks, 2 large, bias cut
- Garlic, 4 cloves, minced
- Ginger root, 1 TB peeled, minced
- Kale, 3 cups coarsely chopped
- Red or Yellow bell pepper, 1, chunked
- Onion, 1/2 large Spanish, petite diced
- Extra virgin olive oil, 2 TB
- Water, 6 cups
- Quinoa, 1 cup dry
- Curry powder, 1 tsp.
- Red pepper flakes, 1 lg. pinch
- Salt, 1 to 1-1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric, 2 tsp.
- Cumin, 1 tsp.
- Wash and prepare all the veggies.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a 4 quart sauce pan or crock pot.
- Add the prepared veggies and saute in this order: garlic, ginger root, onion, carrots, celery, pepper. Withhold the cauliflower and kale for the time being.
- Add the quinoa, water and seasonings to the pot. Bring to a simmer and simmer covered for no more than 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflowerets and kale and simmer for another 5 minutes until quinoa is done and cauliflower al dente.
Warning: the cauliflower cooks very quickly. I added mine along with the quinoa — the 15 minutes required for the quinoa was too long for the cauliflower to cook. It was delicious nonetheless. Just sayin’.
For more, visit my blog, vegetatingwithleslie.org, “Like” me on FaceBook/Vegetating with Leslie or follow me on Twitter, @vegwithleslie.