It’s amazing how much people like this salad! I used to have people tell me they had been up all night obsessing about it and drove a long way to get some.
- Eggplant, 3 large
- Salt, 1 TB
- Garlic, 3-4 cloves, minced
- Mediterranean pickles, 1-2, rough chopped
- Red onion, 1/4 sliced
- Cilantro, 1/2 bunch, chopped
- Moroccan Eggplant Sauce, 1 cup (see recipe below)
- Tomato paste, 6 oz. can
- Lemon, juice of 1 lemon
- Water, to 1-1/2 cups
- Sea salt, 1/2 tsp.
- Cumin,1 tsp.
- Szeged hot paprika, 1 tsp.
- Slice and salt eggplant and refrigerate in a covered bowl overnight (quarter the eggplant lengthwise, then cut in 1/8″ slices).
- Thoroughly drain eggplant (you may need to repeat draining before you complete frying process) and squeeze.
- Deep fry until evenly brown (3 min. with eggplant no more than ½ – 1 in. deep in basket).
- Drain in a paper towel-lined bowl, and cool.
- Add fried, cooled eggplant into a bowl alternately with layers of sauce and prepared vegetables, 3-4 layers.
- Fold together lightly. Check seasoning, and re-season if necessary.