This Moroccan Carrot Salad is a traditional Shabbat salad among my friends in West Rogers Park, and I got in the habit of making it weekly. Its beautiful colors contribute to a festive table along with my other salads.
(Makes 1 Quart)
Carrots, 1 lb.
Garlic, 1 clove, minced
Lemon, 1 juiced (2 TB)
Extra virgin olive oil, 2 TB
Sea salt, 1 tsp.
Cumin, 2 tsp.
Szeged hot paprika, 1 tsp.
Cilantro, 1 oz., chopped
- Wash, slice and cook the carrots in water just to cover (bring water to boil before adding carrots).
- While carrots are cooking, mince the garlic and chop the cilantro.
- When carrots are just tender, remove from heat.
- Add lots of ice to quickly cool carrots.
- Place cooled carrots in mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic and chopped cilantro.
- Season with salt, cumin and hot paprika to taste. The salad should be “zesty.”