I love the colors in this salad, and I love the color contrasts among my salads! I usually use red bell peppers, but orange or yellow bell peppers or any mix of the three will work equally well.
- 6-8 red, yellow or orange bell peppers
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, hand minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Szeged hot paprika
- 1/3 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Wash peppers.
- Smoke or brown peppers under the broiler. I usually use a broiler for this and turn the peppers several times so they are evenly “burned” and the skin starts to wrinkle.
- Remove the skins. I also cut away a little of the white pulpy material that attaches to the core but leave most of the seeds.
- Slice peppers into strips. Cut across the strips into shorter pieces.
- Place pepper strips into a mixing bowl with their juices and some seeds.
- Add remaining ingredients to taste.
First cut the peppers lengthwise into strips, then across into shorter pieces. Makes about 1 quart of salad.