BEANS ‘N’ GREENS SOUP
- Cannellini, 1 lb. dried, cooked (check water during cooking to be certain the beans are always just covered)
- Garlic, 3 cloves
- Salt, 2.5 tsp.
- Hot paprika, 1/2 tsp.
- 1/2 cup wine
- Extra virgin olive oil, 2-3 TB
- Broccoli, 2 lb. flowerets
- Greens, 4 cups coarsely chopped
- Onion, 1 cup diced
- Coconut milk, 1 can
- Cook the beans in water to cover — keep checking to be certain the beans remain barely covered throughout. When tender, set aside with their liquid.
- Add garlic to food processor, and pulse until minced.
- Add salt, hot paprika and wine to processor.
- Add beans with their liquid to the processor. Pulse until desired consistency — you can even leave some beans showing. In the picture here, I pulsed until the mixture was uniformly gravelly.
- Move the bean mixture to a soup pot.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a different pot. Saute petite diced onion for a few moments. Add the broccoli flowerets, continuing to saute. Finally add the chopped greens.
- When the onion, broccoli and greens are tender, move the mixture to the food processor and pulse until uniformly gravelly.
- Add the veggie mixture to the bean mixture in the soup pot. Check seasoning and adjust.
- At serving time, garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and crushed red pepper flakes.
For more, visit my blog, vegetatingwithleslie.org, “Like” me on FaceBook/Vegetating with Leslie or follow me on Twitter, @vegwithleslie.