This is a great soup, my comfort food — a meal in itself for a wintry evening. It took me ten minutes of prep time to load it into my Instant Pot, was cooked under pressure for 20 minutes while I put my feet up — and soup.
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Spanish onion, petite diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced on the bias
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 medium to large plum tomatoes, petite diced (or a 19 oz. can)
- 1/2 lb. pearl barley
- 1 lb. baby belle mushrooms, quartered (this time I used one very large Portobello mushroom
- 2 cups chopped greens (kale/spinach/chard, any or all)
- 6 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. hot paprika
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to the Instant Pot.
- Petite dice or chop the onion and add to the Instant Pot. Turn on IP to Saute for 5-10 minutes while you prep the remaining veggies.
- Slice the carrots on the bias and add to the onions in the IP while continuing the Saute.
- Slice the celery and add to the IP while continuing the Saute.
- If the veggies are soft or you’ve completed 10 minutes of Saute time, Cancel.
- Add all remaining ingredients: the petite diced tomatoes (I usually use fresh but was lazy this time), the 6 cups of water, the cut-up mushrooms, chopped greens, barley, water and seasonings. Stir.
- Close the lid on the IP and close the vent. Set to Pressure for 20 minutes. Close the vent.
- When the 20 minutes is complete, open the steam release until you can open the lid, about 10 minutes, then remove the lid, check seasonings and serve. Mmmm…mmm…good.